Welcome to Moorhen
Moorhen is one of our two year 5 classes taught by Miss Bullen. Did you know Miss Bullen loves baking, listening to music and was a competitive Irish Dancer for over 13 years?
THings to celebrate
• In Maths, we are currently learning about fractions. It’s not our favourite, but we are giving it a good go!
• In English, we are moving on from the Explorer to match our new topic, the Egyptians. We are looking at the book ‘The Egyptian Cinderella’ and linking it to our knowledge about Fairytales.
• We are leaving animals behind and moving onto learn about the properties of materials. We can’t wait to improve our investigation skills.
• The new BIG question is all about the Egyptians this term and so we look forward to learning about all the gory details (like brains coming out of nostrils apparently!)
Things you need to know
PE Days and Home Learning
Indoor PE Monday and Outdoor PE Friday
• Reading for Pleasure Book – Your child will bring a book home which they want to read for pleasure. It may not be the same level as their AR book. They might read this to themselves or ask you to read it to them/share it with them.
• AR book – This book your child will read to continue to develop their fluency and accuracy as it will be at the level to support their progress. Please record when they read this book in their reading record with any comments.
• Core Learning Task – This will be a task linked to the learning in English or Maths during the past week. The area which it focuses on will vary each week based on the needs of the children in the year group.
• Foundation Learning Task – This will be a task linked to the foundation learning that has happened during the past week (this task is optional). The curriculum area which it focusses on will vary each week based on the needs of the children in the year group.
• Spellings – Each week your child will have 8 spelling words to learn that will be ‘checked’. Their class teacher will communicate when the ‘check’ will be.
• TTRockstars – Your child should aim to log on and rock at least 3 times a week (their log in will be in their reading record)